The Internationaal Juridisch Instituut (IJI) was established in 1918 and was originally called the Institut Intermédiaire International. It was practice-oriented from the start. Initially the Institute provided information mainly on international trade issues, but later extended its activities to include questions in other fields. The Institute also published the quarterly Bulletin de l'Institut intermédiaire international, containing information on international law and foreign substantive law. Until the outbreak of the Second World War, the Institute had a translation agency, the Bureau international de traductions juridiques. After the war, the Institute started focusing increasingly on providing legal advice. While its early reports consisted mainly of references to literature and case law, these have been replaced in more recent decades by extensively documented legal advice.